The good news is that Gary Chapman is not New Age – and sometimes Oprah actually does have real Christians on her show.
Dr. Gary Chapman is a well-respected Christian counselor and author of the New York Times bestseller, The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts.
Dr. Chapman’s “five love languages” have nothing to do with New Age angel-speak or developing our psychic powers. They are grounded in reality and solid Christian thought and consist of five ways that people speak and understand emotional love. Couples are encouraged to discover which language(s) their spouse understands best in order to do a better job of communicating.
These five love languages consist of:
1. Those who respond to words of affirmation that express love
2. Those who respond to the gift of quality time full of undivided attention
3. Those who respond to the giving and receiving of gifts
4. Those who enjoy acts of service from their spouse, such as doing things they know will be appreciated by their partner
5. Those who respond to the use of physical touch to communicate love
In this article, Dr. Chapman explains these languages more thoroughly.
Chapman has written several books related to The Five Languages such as The Five Love Languages of Children (1997), The Five Love Languages for Singles (2004), The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace, which he co-authored with Dr. Paul White in 2011, and The Five Love Languages: Military Edition, which he co-authored with Jocelyn Green in 2013.
Click here to discover your Love Language.