CDC: Abortion & the Minority Population

black babyEven though the overall abortion rate in the U.S. has declined, the latest abortion surveillance report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that abortion rates remain disproportionately high among the black and Hispanic population.

CNS is reporting on the latest CDC statistics for the year 2012 which found that 699,202 abortions were performed in 47 states and the District of Columbia during that year. The excluded states were Maryland, New Hampshire and California who did not report their abortion numbers to the CDC.

Of the 26 states that reported abortions by race and ethnicity, there were 405,795 abortions performed in 2012. Almost 149,000 of those babies were black (36.7%) and nearly 76,000 were Hispanic (18.7%). This equals a combined total of 55.4% of all abortions reported by race and ethnicity.

By contrast, white babies aborted totaled 152,673 or 37.6 percent.

This is significant because the Census Bureau reports that blacks make up just 13.2 percent of the U.S. population and Hispanics comprise only 17.4 percent. Combined, these two minority groups account for 30.6 percent of the population, and yet 55.4 percent of abortions reported by race were of black and Hispanic babies.

The numbers in New York City were even more catastrophic for minorities.

In total, there were 70,997 abortions in the city in 2012 with 31,328 being black babies (44.1%) and 22,917 being Hispanic babies (32.3%). This equals 54,245 or 76.4 percent of the total.

Compare this to the 9,704 white babies aborted in the city in 2012 (13.7%) and the 7,045 “other” babies (Native American, Asian or unknown) which amounts to 9.9 percent of the total.

This is a startlingly high number because blacks comprise 25.5 percent of the population of New York City and Hispanics comprise 28.6% – for a total of 54.1 percent – and yet the abortion totals among these minorities is 76.4 percent.

According to the National Black Pro Life Union, a total of 17 million black babies have been slaughtered in the womb since 1973.

However, the good news is that the overall abortion rate has declined by 31,000 (4.2%). This makes the U.S. abortion rate for 2012 the lowest since 1973.

“Abortion rates and ratios also continued to show declines, indicating that increasing numbers of American women are rejecting abortion as a solution to unexpected pregnancy,” writes Dave Andrusko at the National Right to Life Committee.

“Abortion numbers have continued to go down in the midst of a hostile administration and half a billion in tax dollars going to Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion chain. This is a tribute to the determination and effort of pro-lifers in passing federal and state legislation protecting pain capable unborn children.”

Click here to read the full report.

© All Rights Reserved, Living His Life Abundantly®/Women of Grace®


Comments are closed.