Report: 16 Percent of Assisted Suicides are People with no Health Problems

A stunning new report has found that around 16 percent of people who choose to die by assisted suicide at three right-to-die facilities had no underlying medical cause and were simply “weary of life.”

The Daily Mirror is reporting that researchers at the University of Bern found that only 84 percent of the cases seen at right-to-die facilities such as Dignitas in Switzerland are people who have some medical reason for seeking death. The other 16 percent had no reason other than they just didn’t want to live anymore.

Among 25-64 year olds who died by assisted suicide, 57 percent had cancer and 21 percent had diseases of the nervous system. A few listed a mood or mental disorder, but many had no underlying issues.

Of those aged 65-94 years-old, 41 percent had cancer, 15 percent had a circulatory illness and 11 percent had a disease of the nervous system.

The study also found assisted suicide was more commonly sought by women, the highly educated, divorced, and wealthy people, as well as in people of no faith.

The research gathered data on 1,301 cases of assisted suicide that occurred at three right-to-die clinics between 2003 and 2008 and the findings were published online in the International Journal of Epidemiology.

“I have been warning for more than 20 years that assisted suicide ultimately leads to death on demand,” said attorney and euthanasia opponent Wesley J. Smith. “And so it has become in the Swiss suicide clinics according to [this] recent study.”

© All Rights Reserved, Living His Life Abundantly®/Women of Grace®

Comments are closed.