Woman Sues Over Botched Late Term Abortion

leroy carhartA 34 year-old woman has filed a lawsuit against an abortionist who she says performed a botched late-term abortion on her that nearly killed her and left her sterile.

LiveActionNews is reporting on the case of Wendy Devine who nearly died after a late-term abortion performed by the notorious Maryland abortionist, LeRoy Carhart earlier this year.

According to the lawsuit,  Devine suffered horrific injuries during a procedure that took place in Carhart’s Germantown, Maryland facility on January 18, 2016. Carhart used a Dilation and Evacuation abortion, which is how late-term pregnancies are terminated when the abortionist is in a hurry, rather than the Induction Method which requires three to four days to complete.

Carhart had reason to be in a hurry. He is what’s known as a “circuit rider” abortionist who travels from state to state performing abortions.

According to a video provided by Operation Rescue (OR), a 911 call is made during which time it is revealed that Devine is suffering from “serious bleeding.” While awaiting transport to the hospital, OR points out a moment on the film when Carhart and his wife are seen leaving the facility with their luggage. When the ambulance leaves, they depart and head off in the opposite direction.


According to hospital records, “When Devine finally arrived at the hospital at 8:35 p.m., she was bleeding heavily, was extremely weak, and still suffering severe abdominal pain. Hospital E.R. doctors called in a gynecologist who examined her and prepped her for surgery. At 10:20 p.m., Devine was rolled into the emergency room for an exploratory laparoscopy, but what was discovered was so serious that the procedure was converted to an open laparotomy and an additional specialist was called in.”

As LiveAction reports, doctors found a hematoma (blood clot) containing more than a liter of blood in the patient’s abdominal cavity, a top-to-bottom tear in the right side of her uterus, a tear in the artery on the same side, a severely damaged right ovary which was, according to OR, “left hanging by a thin piece of tissue,” and a “significant tear in the tissue that holds the lower colon in place.”

Luckily, Devine survived but is now permanently disabled and unable to bear children.

Other Carhart patients were not so fortunate. This article details the death of a 19 year-old Special Olympian with Down Syndrome named Christin Gilbert whose abortion experience at the hands of Carhart left her “bleeding from every orifice in her body [after arriving at the hospital]. Her body was so ravaged by sepsis and infection that her organs could not even be donated” after her death.

Another woman, 29 year-old Jennifer Morbelli, was 33 weeks pregnant when she went to Carhart for the abortion of her baby daughter, Madison, who was believed to be suffering from a birth defect. LiveAction reports that she bled to death after anmniotic fluid entered her bloodstream and affected her blood’s ability to clot. Carhart claimed this was due to pregnancy complications rather than to the abortion he performed on her.

It’s also important to note that Carhart has held no hospital privileges since 1982, and has a reputation for numerous complaints as well as ambulance calls and injuries to women.

After Morbelli’s death, Father Frank Pavone, director of Priests for Life, issued a press release condemning Carhart and the clinic where so many women were injured or killed.

“Three things need to happen here. First, the state of Maryland has to shut down Carhart’s killing business,” Father Pavone writes.

“Second, every person who cares about this needs to spread the word immediately about this tragedy, to awaken the consciences of our neighbors. This includes pastors speaking out about the harm abortion does, and it includes all of us telling the stories of those harmed and killed by abortion.

“Third, we need to redouble our efforts to mobilize people in the pro-life cause. If this latest tragedy isn’t enough evidence that the time to end abortion is now, then what is?”

“No longer will we allow these women to remain unknown to the American public,” Father Pavone said. “The silence ends today.”

Unfortunately, the clinic remains open and women continued to be injured by an abortion industry that, depending on the outcome of this year’s elections, may soon be funded by American tax dollars.

© All Rights Reserved, Living His Life Abundantly®/Women of Grace®  http://www.womenofgrace.com 




Comments are closed.